Recipe from The Kitchn
Makes one 8 ounce serving
- 3/4 cup water
- 2-4 whole green cardamom pods, smashed
- 1-2 thin slices fresh ginger
- 1 2-3 inch cinnamon stick
- 1 piece star anise
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons loose black tea leaves
- Sweetener, to taste (I prefer honey or maple syrup)
- In a small saucepan, combine the water, cardamom, ginger, cinnamon stick and star anise.
- Bring the mixture to a boil then lower the heat and simmer for a few minutes until the mixture is fragrant.
- Add the milk and tea leaves, and simmer for another minute then turn off the heat and let steep for 2 minutes.
- Pour into a cup through a fine mesh sieve. Discard the leaves and spices. Add sweetener, to taste.