Recipe from MyRecipes.com
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp. sugar
- 1 cup dried hibiscus flowers (cut and sifted or whole)
- 3/4 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
- 3 cups raspberries
- 3 cups hulled sliced strawberries
- 1 1/2 cups blackberries
- 1 1/2 cups blueberries
- 1/2 cup crème fraîche
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper mixed with 1/4 tsp. ground cardamom
- Make jelly: Bring 1 cup water and the sugar to a boil in a small heavy saucepan over high heat, stirring occasionally to help sugar dissolve. Remove from heat and stir in hibiscus flowers. Cover and steep 15 minutes, then strain syrup into a small bowl and discard flowers. Meanwhile, pour 1/4 cup water into another small bowl. Sprinkle gelatin over and let soften 5 minutes. Whisk warm flower syrup into softened gelatin until dissolved. Chill at least 6 hours and up to 3 days. Stir the jelly to loosen before using.
- Crush berries: Right before serving, crush berries in a bowl with a fork, pastry blender, or potato masher.
- Spoon berries into 8 dessert bowls. Stir jelly with a fork to loosen, then spoon over berries. Top each bowl with a spoonful of crème fraîche and a sprinkling of pepper and ground cardamom.