Recipe from The Kitchn
Ingredients (Serves 3-4):
- 1 16-ounce package firm tofu
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced white onion (from 1/2 small onion)
- 3/4 cup finely chopped red pepper (from 1 small pepper)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped Anaheim pepper (from 1 medium pepper)
- 1/4 teaspoon coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste at the end
- 1 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 3 tablespoons chopped green onions (about 2), for serving
- 3-4 tortillas, warmed, for serving
- 1 sliced avocado, for serving
- Sour cream, for serving, optional
- Remove the tofu from its package and set down on a plate lined with paper towels (or a dry, clean dish towel). Cover in another layer of paper towels and press and blot well to remove excess moisture. Place in a medium bowl and mash well using your favorite fork. You're looking for a crumbly consistency.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions, red pepper and Anaheim pepper and cook until soft, 3-4 minutes. Stir if needed to prevent sticking.
- Stir in the coriander, cumin, garlic powder and salt and cook until just incorporated and fragrant, 1 minute or so. Stir in the mashed tofu and the turmeric along with 2 tablespoons water, and cook until the mixture is warmed completely, 1-2 minutes. Taste and season with additional salt if you'd like.
- Scoop a generous portion of tofu scramble atop a tortilla and garnish with green onion and sliced avocado. A dollop of sour cream is optional, but nice.